- 3 cups cooked chicken ( I used a rotisserie)
- 1 lb Tomatillos ( husk removed, cleaned, cut into quarters)
- 1 large white onion ( chopped)
- 4 cloves of garlic ( minced)
- 3 limes ( the juice of two, and one cut up into quarters)
- 2 jalapenos ( chopped & seeded unless you like it spicy)
- 1 can cannellini beans ( drained and rinsed)
- 3 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 chili powder
- 6 cups low sodium chicken stock
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
Saute the onions on medium in a large pot in olive oil until soft but not brown, add garlic cook another minute, add cooked shredded chicken, tomatillos, jalapenos, chicken stock, rinsed & drained beans, lime juice, cumin, and chili powder, let simmer for 30 - 40 minutes uncovered or until the tomatillos are tender. Add chopped cilantro the last ten minutes of cooking to keep the color and freshness.
I added lime wedges and a couple pinches of fresh cilantro to my soup bowl..